Its exactly 14 days before Hari Raya and some of you may decide to go “Balik Kampung” using the bike to avoid the traffic, or at least get through it faster.
If its your first time doing so, or just as a refresher, here are some tips to make that journey a bit safer and more pleasant.
Pre journey preparation
1. It doesn’t matter if you ride it everyday or just once in a while, make sure you service the bike or at least give it an all round check a few days before the long ride. You just never know you’d find a potential problem that could leave you stranded somewhere. Don’t take the risk, if something looks like it needs to be replaced soon, then do it before the trip, even if it looks like it could last till after the journey. Don’t forget to check your road tax, license and insurance too, just in case.
2. Not everybody have the luxury or wants a hard case system, so if you are one of them then best to pack light and keep the weight off you back like by using a backpack. Instead strap it down securely on the back seat. If you don’t have a waterproof bag, put your clothing in those thick black trash plastic bag before putting it into your bag. If you have adjustable suspension then make sure you set it up for the extra weight.
3. Get a puncture kit and carry some duct tape.
4. Plan the route and time of the ride, avoid travelling late at night or in the middle of the day. Best to go very early in the morning as it cooler and you are still fresh from the night’s rest.
5. And yes, get proper rest before the ride.
1. Wear proper protection and don’t take any risk, theres no replacement to prevention.
2. Tell somebody your plan, the route and timing, keep them updated along the way. It’s a good idea to carry extra identification and emergency contact on you just in case.
3. Make it compulsory for you to take a break every hour or so even if you don’t feel like you need it.
4. You may not be able to rehydrate yourself due to fasting but you can keep things cool so you don’t sweat too much and get dehydrated. A wet handkerchief around your neck does the trick wonderfully.
5. Pay extra attention all the time; there will be more traffic than usual and so will be the risk.