BMW Motorrad has unveiled the new R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT along with the new Boxer engine.
The new 1254cc engine is the fifth 4-valve Boxer version.
It boasts a 9% gain in power and 14% in torque, plus 4% reduction in fuel consumption.
(All pictures courtesy of BMW Motorrad.)
It was BMW Motorrad’s worst secret, because the news of a new 1250cc Boxer engine and RT broke out in the open as soon as they started working on the project. Hence probably why BMW decided to roll out the specs and features of the 2019 R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT even before the expected launch at Intermot.
For your information, the German manufacturer has followed their tradition of launching both new GS and RT simultaneously.
We have covered most of the techs of the new 1254cc Boxer with Shift Cam variable valve timing, so far but here is a little bit more about the new engine since the full spec sheets have been released, also.
BMW 1250 Boxer with Shift Cam
We have previously shown the illustration of the workings of the new Shift Cam technology, so please click on this link for more information and the video.
- The new Boxer produces 136 bhp (100 kW) at 7,750 RPM and 143 Nm of torque at 6,250 RPM, a 14% gain.
- Comparatively, the current 1174cc engine produces 125 bhp (92 kW) and 125 Nm of torque at the same RPMs respectively. (Please refer to the dyno chart below, courtesy of mcnew.com.au)
- Referring to the graph, horsepower is as linear as before, but the biggest gain for torque is from 5,000 RPM onwards.
- There is 110 Nm (77% of maximum) on tap from 2,000 RPM, building to just over 120 Nm (84%) at 3,000 RPM.
- This means there is acceleration practically anytime the rider opens the throttle.
- The new engine gains up to 4% better fuel economy, while trading 5kg extra.
- There is a new BMS-O engine control unit (ECU), slipper clutch as standard (finally!), upgraded lubrication and cooling system, quieter toothed (HyVo) timing chains, and two knock sensors.
- The transmission has also been refined further.
That is it for now. Check back with us tonight as we take a closer look at both the new models.