You can still claim accident compensation if you’re hit by an uninsured vehicle

Here’s what you ought to know about claiming accident compensation in the event that you get into an accident caused by uninsured vehicle.

  • Accidents happen, and motor insurance are made mandatory for that reason.

  • However, there are still plenty of errant motorists on the road driving/riding an uninsured vehicle.

  • Accidents involving them are inevitable, but victims can still claim accident compensation for it through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of West Malaysia (MIB).

  • Here’s what you should know about filing these claims with the Bureau and how to do it.

Rempit crash (Pic for display purposes only) – Courtesy of Sarawak Voice

As motorists, we are all at risk of being involved in an accident or collision on the daily. Thankfully, we are all protected by laws and legislation that stipulates that all vehicle owners must possess one form of motor insurance or another before being allowed on the road.

However, as is the common case, there are still a handful of errant road users who risk their lives – and that of others – by hitting the roads with their vehicles WITHOUT valid insurance. Inevitably, accidents and collisions involving motorists in an uninsured vehicle is inevitable for some.

So, what happens should you find yourself involved in a situation whereby you are collided into by said irresponsible parties driving/riding an uninsured vehicle? Or worse still, the offending uninsured party who caused this crash refuses or cannot compensate for the your injuries and possible hospitalisation?

Well, worry not as there is still a way for you to get compensated by an insurance-type body, especially if you suffer injuries resulting from the whole affair. In fact, the folks over at have done an in-depth piece on this some time back, and we reckon it’s worth a retelling through this short summary of ours.

Here’s where you should take note of a body that exists called the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of West Malaysia (or MIB for short). MIB was established especially with the aim of protecting road users who have been hit or collided into by an uninsured vehicle.

The Bureau is funded by annual contributions from all motor vehicle insurance providers in Malaysia – apparently, the government had made this a mandatory step for these companies to comply with. These funds are then used to compensate parties who submit their claims for cases as such.

Here’s a few conditions you should know first before filing a claim to the MIB:

  • Claims can be submitted individually. A lawyer or attorney is NOT required for this, but claiming parties can still opt to be represented by one.
  • MIB does NOT accept claims involving hit and run cases – claiming victims must state the plate number of the uninsured vehicle that hit/collided into them.
  • Claims must be filed and submitted within three years from the date of the incident.
  • If victims decide to proceed with filing a lawsuit through a lawyer, said legal representative must notify MIB within 30 days of filing the lawsuit.
  • Take note MIB will only compensate for injuries suffered as a result of the accident. No compensation will be given for any damage to your vehicle.
  • Compensation payment given by the MIB is on a compassionate basis, meaning its value is entirely up to the discretion of the MIB.

Sure, that last fact may not sit too well with many, but remember this: your prized car or bike is replaceable, but you, the driver/rider aren’t. Above all, it is still better than nothing indeed.

On a side note, don’t let the Bureau’s ‘West Malaysia’ name throw you off either too as they still offer coverage to East Malaysians too.

Say you find yourself ready to file a claim for such a case with MIB, then here’s what you’ll need to have ready as supporting documents for your claims:

  • Cover letter describing the accident
  • Your police report of the incident
  • The offending third party’s police report of the incident
  • your medical report from the incident detailing injuries you’ve sustained

Once you all of the above ready, you or your appointed legal representative may submit your claim to the MIB via the following details:

Motor Insurers’ Bureau of West Malaysia

Wisma PIAM

No.150-3, 3rd Floor

Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields

50782 Kuala Lumpur

Tel: 03-2274 7395

Fax: 03-2274 5910 aims to bring you the latest motorcycle news reviews videos and entertainment for everything related to motorcycles from around the world.

Related Articles


Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on YouTube