Just as we thought we’re riding out the heat, here comes the haze!
Here are a number of tips for riding in the haze.
Reduce your exposure as must much as you possibly can.
There seems to be no respite for us Malaysian motorcyclists when it comes to the weather, is there? First it was the superheated days and now the haze is back with a vengeance. What’s next?
But here are a few tips to ease our daily battles with the environment.
- Wear a balaclava. Wearing a balaclava covers your nose and mouth and filters out particulates. As a bonus, it keeps dust out and protects your neck, too. While not as effective as a surgical mask in filtering out smoke, a balaclava is made to fit inside a helmet.
- Riding mask/Surgical mask. This is the best option. There are many types of masks, including activated charcoal-infused ones and, the N95 type for the ultimate filtration. Try and see which is best for you. The drawback is that the mask becomes displaced when you pull on your helmet.
- Hydrate. Drink plenty of fluids. Water is the best in this case with the haze. Being inert means you can wash your face with it, too. On what liquids are the best for bikers, please refer to our earlier article.
- Eye drops. Get a bottle and keep it in your pocket. It truly helps to keep your eyes from getting irritated, cutting down the chance of squinting while riding.
5. Quit smoking. We know, this is a long shot of a request. The haze presents the best chance of cutting back or even quitting altogether.