BMW Motorrad also took the opportunity to launch the new G 310 R’s bigger and more powerful brother, the 2021 BMW S 1000 R. Enhanced further than ever before, it’s safe to say that this new litre roadster is brand new from the ground up with better performance, handling and styling than ever.
Going straight into firepower, its 999cc inline-four engine is based on the S 1000 RR which offers a 5kg weight reduction while producing 165hp at 11,000rpm and 114Nm torque at 9,250rpm. This roadster is finetuned for greater comfort and dynamics, especially when hitting that sweet spot within the mid-range.
New gear ratios from 4th to 6th gears also further enhances the bike’s overall rideability, which goes hand in hand with more weight reduction coming from its new chassis by 6.5kg altogether. This can be further reduced by another 4.8kg if customers opt for either the forged wheels or carbon fibre wheels.
In its base form, the 2021 BMW S 1000 R only weighs 199kg (dry) which makes it the lighter dynamic roadster in its class. From as low as 3,000rpm, riders will get to experience over 80Nm torque and that fact alone is already very exhilarating to think about.
The chassis is also further refined with the addition of “Flex Frame”, a new suspension package that uses the engine itself as the main load-bearing function. This allows for a more compact design which offers the riders to have better riding ergonomics as it allows their knees to be closer to the body compared to the previous-gen model.
Comfort and performance upgrades also come in the form of its underslung swingarm with Full Floater Pro kinematics and a new suspension strut. These offer better riding feel as well as increased rear wheel grip, which in turn offer greater riding confidence.
Other new features include:
- Lighter exhaust system
- 5-inch TFT screen
- New front headlight design
- New body panels with dynamic styling
- Six-axis sensor box to control pitch rate and anti-wheelie function
- ABS Pro with dedicated rain brake mode
- WorldSBK-spec Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with wheelie control
- Selectable riding modes (Rain, Road, Dynamic)
- Hillstart Control
- DRLs and Adaptive Turning Lights (optional)
- Shift Assistant Pro (optional)
- Riding Modes Pro with adjustable wheelie control, Launch Control, Pitlane Limiter, and Hillstart Control Pro (optional)